DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE! We do not employ doctors or licensed medical professionals, so we do not provide medical advice. Nothing presented here is a substitute for the advice of a DOCTOR or other licensed health care provider. Never stop, start or add medications or supplements to your health or mental health care regime without first checking for interactions or other problems, and thoroughly researching the substance. Before you employ any information here, consult your health care professional. No information here is the result of valid clinical trials.
that Helps to Heal the Body and Brain
Anxiety, irritability, anger, rage, cravings (sugar, food, alcohol), fatigue, and extreme hunger during withdrawal are linked to blood sugar fluctuations and nutrient depletion.
- Scheduling 5 small, protein-rich meals each day, and having protein snacks on hand can help to keep blood sugar level.
- There are many plant-based (non-soy, non-dairy, non-meat) sources of protein.
- Avoid soy protein as it affects hormones.
- Try to cut out sugar, dairy, sweeteners, alcohol, simple carbohydrates and anything that converts directly to sugar when digested. (Good carbs are found in products made from whole wheat and cereals, vegetables and fruits.) Nicotine causes rapid spikes and dips in blood sugar, too. Try not to smoke.
The Connection Between Mental Health, Diet, Nutrition and Gut Health
- Diet, nutrition, and chronic systemic inflammation are linked to health and mental health disorders such as anxiety, depression, bipolar, and even schizophrenia. Below are links to articles that discuss this promising way to naturally address these conditions. Read more
Antidepressant-induced nutrient depletion:
"The medication causes the body to lose valuable nutrients. The medical name for this is 'drug induced nutrient depletion'. Prime examples are potassium loss from diuretics and co-enzyme Q10 (CoQ10) depletion from statins (cholesterol medications). Psychiatric medications deplete selenium, melatonin, B vitamins, glutathione (the master antioxidant) and other nutrients.
The knowledge that many drugs lead to nutritional deficiencies has been documented by a vast number of studies over the last three decades. It was shown conclusively that drugs deplete by both interfering with proper absorption and by inhibiting the transport of vitamins and minerals throughout the body. This depletion may impair system metabolism, and most people are unaware that they may become severely deficient.
Regardless of the addictive drug ingested and rapidly withdrawn, protracted withdrawal symptoms can occur. Healing from protracted withdrawal does not just include the elimination of the drug from the body, but also involves the repair and healing of the neurotransmitters.
Proper nutrition, hydration, proper supplementation, exercise and sleep can dramatically shorten the time for healing and recovery. Drug-induced nutrient deficiencies are not the only source of people's medical problems, but they can certainly compound symptoms." Ann Blake-Tracy
The real truth: antidepressants actually deplete these 3 crucial nutrients for the brain
- 7 Important Nutrients Depleted by Psychiatric Drugs
Depression Is Not A Chemical Deficiency & Other Fallacies of Western Medicine
20 Nutrient Deficiencies Proven to Cause Depression
Hippocrates ~ "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food."
- A Diet for Patients With Chronic Pain: http://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/treatments/complementary/diet-patients-chronic-pain
- Anti-Inflammatory, Alkaline-Forming Diet -http://altmedicine.about.com/od/antiinflammatorydiet/a/Anti-Inflammatory-Diet.htm
- Anti-Inflammatory Foods: https://paindoctor.com/anti-inflammatory-foods/
- "When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need." - Ayurvedic Proverb
Clean Eating Guidelines: Not a diet, but a lifestyle choice.
"Eating clean doesn't mean not eating. You eat as much food as you need to be healthy and have the energy to fuel your workouts and any other activities. People often equate clean eating with sacrifice, but it's actually about finding healthy alternatives to unhealthy food. Also remember that as you clean up your eating habits, your tastes change and you get to the point where you actually crave healthy food. Sounds crazy, but it's true."
The Alkaline Diet: Is There Evidence That an Alkaline pH Diet Benefits Health?
- From the evidence outlined above, it would be prudent to consider an alkaline diet to reduce morbidity and mortality of chronic disease that are plaguing our aging population." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/
- Nutrient Power with Dr. William Walsh:
Dr. Walsh, renowned expert on treating mental disorders with nutrition. He discusses Autism, Criminal Behavior, Nutritional Medicine, Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, and Depression - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LqT6EofPs0&list=PL321-bGRTfd-nXOvucWbf-SMedzgnJu08
- The Gut Brain Connection of Mental Illness and Disease- https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201404/the-gut-brain-connection-mental-illness-and-disease
- Probiotics May Relieve Depression and Anxiety: http://blog.lifeextension.com/2015/07/probiotics-may-relieve-depression.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=normal&m=1
- Cultured Food Life: Learn How to Make Fermented and Cultured Foods at Home: http://www.culturedfoodlife.com
- A Woman's Friend: Magnesium (Depression, Anxiety, PMS, Headaches)
Magnesium has been demonstrated to be a rapidly effective intervention for depression, likely related to its role in regulating neuronal function through calcium flux in and out of cells, and potentially its role in optimal thyroid function-an underactive thyroid is a known cause of depression. http://kellybroganmd.com/magnesium-most-important-female-supplement/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=Kelly%20Brogan%20MD%20-%20Holistic%20Psychiatrist
Movies and More
- Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
"Focusing on two men whose bodies have been trashed by steroids, obesity and illness, this documentary chronicles the rigorous healing path - including a two-month diet of fruits and vegetables - that both attempt in a bid to rescue their health."
- Forks Over Knives
"The feature film Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods." http://www.forksoverknives.com
- A great article- http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/nutritional-psychiatry-your-brain-on-food-201511168626
- Omega 3 supplementation has been reported to help many. If someone eats fish that has a lot of natural oil such as salmon then supplements may not even be necessary. One brand is Nordic Naturals - Ultimate Omega. The bottle indicates a normal dose is 1280 mgs with a EPA of 650 mgs DHA 450 mgs and 180 mgs of "other Omega 3. This is based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Ideally each person should be tested for nutrient deficiencies as there is no one-size-fits-all and it can be a waste of money as supplements are expensive. The Nordic Naturals is lemon flavored and many find it has no fish burp taste.
- There are a lot of different kinds of magnesium. They all have different purposes and will affect different people differently. This chart from the magnesium group is a good guide. But there are no set rules. It is something that needs to be tailored to individual need and it may take some time to "test" and see if it is of benefit. Age, gender, ethnicity and region are also important factors. Kelly Brogan, M.D. and Joe Rogan have a Youtube video where this was discussed.
All Pharma drugs affect all organs and some can mask underlying root health problems. Mental health, autoimmunity and chronic pain symptoms may be caused by toxicities, sensitivities, deficiencies, infections, imbalances (hormone, thyroid, pituitary, adrenal), physical or emotional trauma, genetic factors, system overloads (mycotoxins), poor coping skills or leaky gut/poor gut health.Read More
The meaning of optimum in OPTIMUM DIET is the diet which best supports recovery from illness and maintenance of health. This support also includes optimum energy, athletic performance, mental power and endurance, preventing degenerative disease and staying young.Read More
Diet, nutrition, and chronic systemic inflammation are linked to health and mental health disorders such as anxiety, depression, bipolar, and even schizophrenia. Below are links to articles that discuss this promising way to naturally address these conditions.Read More
Looking for help with something?
Search our site below...
© 2019 Healing America Now