DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE! We do not employ doctors or licensed medical professionals, so we do not provide medical advice. Nothing presented here is a substitute for the advice of a DOCTOR or other licensed health care provider. Never stop, start or add medications or supplements to your health or mental health care regime without first checking for interactions or other problems, and thoroughly researching the substance. Before you employ any information here, consult your health care professional. No information here is the result of valid clinical trials.
Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Resources
Alternatives to Drugs for Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain
and Other Chronic Health Problems
Alternatives to Drugs for Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Other Chronic Health Problems
Contrary to what the public is being led to believe, there are natural, effective treatments for fibromyalgia (FM) and chronic pain.
Functional and holistic medicine views and treats chronic health problems, including chronic pain, FM, anxiety and depression, completely different than the conventional medical community. Functional medicine looks for, and naturally addresses the underlying root causes behind chronic illnesses.
Fibromyalgia and other chronic illnesses can have many underlying root causes/triggers, including infections, chronic systemic inflammation, toxicities, breast implants, imbalances, poor gut health/leaky gut, sensitivities, deficiencies, genetic mutations, physical or emotional trauma, poor coping skills, metabolic dysfunction or combinations of these factors and others that overload the body to the point it can no longer detoxify and recover on its own.
Even the drugs prescribed to "treat" fibromyalgia can actually cause the condition, which is explained in this quote from Ann Blake-Tracy's book Prozac, Panacea or Pandora, Our Serotonin Nightmare:
"Serotonin was originally given its name due to its ability to constrict blood vessels. In the 50's injections of serotonin were given to women to induce labor. Serotonin constricts muscles leading to muscle damage. Muscle damage was one of the first problems discovered as a result of using SSRIs. When you attempt to use a constricted muscle it rips and tears. From the first SSRI we have gathered more and more reports of muscle damage and fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia is very common with serotonergic meds because the cause of fibromyalgia is known as a condition of elevated serotonin levels brought on by an inability to metabolize serotonin. Because the SSRIs work in this way they do produce fibromyalgia as a side effect and after effect. This constriction of muscle tissue is also why there are many bowel problems associated with the serotonergic drugs. Because 90% of serotonin is in the abdomen when serotonin levels rise the gut clamps up causing the elimination process to stop resulting in constipation."
The cornerstones of natural health management are clean diet, nutrition, supplements, good gut health, and other healthy, positive lifestyle changes.
Natural management takes time, commitment, consistence and persistence, but it is well worth the effort. Drugs mask the underlying root triggers of FM while the root health problems, and the drugs continue to damage the body and take down more body systems (aka accompanying conditions).
Don't abdicate control of your health to someone who may or may not be knowledgeable.
Please vet and screen the physician or medical professional in whom you place your trust. There are good and bad functional doctors, just as there are good and bad conventional doctors. Do your due diligence. Listen to your gut. Does the doctor listen to you and consider you as part of the team? Does he/she look in your eyes and really listen to you?
NOTE: This file is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice and guidance of a qualified medical professional. Neither CHW, nor its admins and moderators are recommending these doctors, treatment facilities, or treatments. However, we are providing this information so our members can see alternative views on the causes and treatments of pain-causing conditions and participate in their own healing.
HOMEWORK: Watch these movies!
- Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
- Knives over Forks - watch trailer
FUNCTIONAL & HOLISTIC vs. CONVENTIONAL MEDICINE
- Functional Medicine determines how and why illness occurs and restores health by addressing the root causes of disease for each individual.
- What is a holistic doctor?
- Dr. Andrew Weil Integrative Medicine
- Conventional Medicine Treats Symptoms; Functional Medicine Treats the Root Causes
Functional Medicine's views on Fibromyalgia: Root Causes/Triggers
- Dr. Murphee (The Fibro Doctor)
- Dr. Murphee on Fibromyalgia and Stress:
- Dr. Bergman - How to Reverse Fibromyalgia:
- Fibromyalgia Solutions:
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is in Your Gut, not Your Brain: Some of the herbs and supplements mentioned in this article are not recommended while on serotonin-affecting drugs or in withdrawal. Please refer to the file on things to avoid while in withdrawal.
FINDING A NATUROPATHIC PHYSICIAN
CONVENTIONAL DRUGS FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- Cymbalta claims for fibromyalgia attract FDA warning: Ineffective for men; benefits over-exaggerated for women
Eli Lilly & Co. were warned that despite FDA approval for use of Cymbalta (duloxetine) for fibromyalgia, their promotion of the drug for such patients was misleading and often overstated its effectiveness and omitted or minimized information regarding potential side effects. Cymbalta did not improve any symptoms in male patients, and there was no significant improvement in FIQ pain scores in the patients as a whole.
- The Environmental Illness Resource: Fibromyalgia News
- Why your fibro meds aren't working
SUPPORT on FACEBOOK
UNDERLYING ROOT TRIGGERS/CAUSES to test or look for
(All can be addressed and managed naturally)
- Chronic Systemic Inflammation
- Deficiencies (nutritional)
- Emotional trauma
- Genetic Mutations (MTHFR gene mutation)
- Imbalances (thyroid, adrenal, pituitary, hormonal, etc)
- Infections (Lyme, West Nile, etc)
- Physical trauma (spinal alignment problems, injuries, etc)
- System overloads (candida, mycotoxins, parasites, toxic foods, etc)
- Sensitivities and Allergies (foods, environment, etc)
- Toxicities (heavy metal, breast implants)
- Hippocrates ~ "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food."
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY, PAIN-FIGHTING DIET (a lifestyle choice):
- The meaning of optimum in OPTIMUM DIET is the diet which best supports recovery from illness and maintenance of health.
This support also includes optimum energy, athletic performance, mental power and endurance, preventing degenerative disease and staying young. The majority will have to adopt a new way of thinking about food in order to benefit from good nutrition. Food choices and dietary practices can strongly promote health; but also strongly prevent resolution of disease. For some people, their health condition is urgent and there has to be immediate radical dietary changes; others will have some time to transition into better health. A multitude of seemingly authoritative voices struggle for first place in the current marketplace of ideas; and one can find a voice saying what one wants to hear.
- Anti-Inflammatory, Alkaline Forming Diet
- Anti-Inflammatory Foods
- Anti-Inflammatory Diet for Fibro
- Stop Eating These Four Foods!
- Fibromyalgia: The Diet Connection:
- "When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need." - Ayurvedic Proverb
AVOID THESE !
- Artificial Sweeteners
- Corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup
- Fast food
- Foods labeled "natural" or "fat free and sugar free"
- Genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
- Night shades (white potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant)
- Red Meat (unless it is grass-fed)
- Refined foods
- Simple carbohydrates
- Trans fats
HEALTH FROM A-Z
APPLE CIDER VINGEGAR
- 15 Reasons to use Apple Cider Vinegar Every Day
- Surprising Ways Use Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/6 tsp sea salt with 10oz water 6x daily
- Healthy and Natural World: Essential Oils to Relieve Pain
BREAST IMPLANT ILLNESS
- New Life Outlook: Chiropractor Pain Help
- Celebrate Recovery: 12-step, Bible-based Program
COGNATIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY
- Neurology Advisor: Benefits of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Fibromyalgia
- A Mind of Your Own by Dr. Kelly Brogan, Holistic Psychiatrist:
- Sunshine - 20 minutes daily
- Light exercise as tolerated, yoga, T'ai Chi, Qigong, gentle stretching, aqua workouts, walking
- Light box
- Aroma Therapy (Lavender)
- Breathing Exercises: counted breathing, diaphragmatic breathing
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and (DBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Alternative Daily: 5 Natural Ways to Kick Anxiety Naturally
- Detoxing while in withdrawal is not recommended because it can be harsh on an already compromised system, and produce even more uncomfortable physical symptoms.
- Many detoxes produce a "flush" which stirs up toxins and causes abdominal distress.
- The best way to begin detoxing while in withdrawal is to eat clean, remove refined foods from the diet, and eat liver cleansing foods.
- 23 Great Ways To Painlessly Cleanse Your Whole Body from RealFarmacy.com
ELIMINATION DIET & FOOD JOURNAL (to discover food sensitivities)
EMOTIONAL FREEDOM TECHNIQUE
- Gentle stretching
- T'ai Chi
- Water Aerobics
- The Bowman Technique
EYE MOVEMENT DESENSITIZATION AND REPROCESSING (EMDR)
HEAVY METAL TOXICITY
- Magnesium & Calcium
- Noni juice - Organic Facts: 15 Impressive Benefits Of Noni Juice
- Avoid sugar, caffeine and alcohol
- Passion Flower
- Turn off all lights
- Remove electronic stimulants for a couple of hours before bedtime (TV, computer, cell phone, etc.)
- Epsom salt soak
- Aromatherapy with essential oils
- Music therapy - YouTube
- Breathing exercises (counted breathing)
- Raw Honey
- Zinc and Magnesium
- Can't Sleep All the Way Through the Night? Try a Little Bit of This "Ideal Liver Fuel" Before Bed
IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME
JUICING & GREEN SMOOTHIES
- Juicing and smoothies should be introduced slowly when in withdrawal and detoxing from medications. If introduced too rapidly, they can produce a flush which can be quite hard on an already compromised system.
- Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
- Juice Recipes - https://www.juicerecipes.com/recipes/
- Amino acid analysis
- Heavy metal analysis
- Intestinal permeability
- Vitamin/mineral tests
- Comprehensive parasitology
- IgG tests for food hypersensitivity
- ELISA/ACT for delayed reaction to foods and chemicals
- Hormone analysis
- Thyroid analysis
- Lyme Test
- MTHFR gene mutation test
LEAKY GUT/POOR GUT HEALTH
- A great overview of Lyme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AegNMY0qWEk&spfreload=1
- "Under our skin" free on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JgR_Jfbhv8
- "Assassins of Lyme Bacteria" - Dr. David Jernigan, Hansa Center for Optimum Health
- Marty Ross MD on How to Diagnose Chronic Lyme Disease:
MEDITATION & BREATHING EXERCISES
- Mindful Based Stress Reduction: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0030052/
- Meditation and CFS/FM - http://www.naturalnews.com/024813_meditation_stress_benefits.html
- Slow Breathing Reduces Pain - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100120163704.htm
MTHFR GENE MUTATION
- Acupuncture Neuropathy Protocol: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29279730
ONLINE HEALTH STORES for discount supplements and organic foods
- Swansons - http://www.swansonvitamins.com
- Super Good Stuff - http://www.supergoodstuff.com
- Seeking Health - http://www.seekinghealth.com
- Mountain Rose Herbs - https://www.mountainroseherbs.com
PROBIOTICS/CULTURED & FERMENTED FOODS
SAUNA/FAR INFRARED SAUNA
Note: If you are in withdrawal, taking supplements that affect serotonin is not recommended.
Visit https://yourfibrodoctor.com/ for suggestions.
- Breathing exercises for sleep
- Epsom Salt Baths - http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/epsom-uses-benefits.asp
- Hot springs mineral pools - http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA326578
SPIRITUALITY (mind, body AND spirit healing!)
- Prayer/Daily Devotions/Bible Study Groups/Church
- Celebrate Recovery: 12-step, Bible-based Program: http://www.celebraterecovery.com
STRESS, EMOTIONAL TRAUMA, PTSD, CPTD
- YogaFit for Warriors
- Dr. Peter Levine, Trauma Expert
- Trauma Institute
- Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma, Dr. Peter Levine -
- In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness, Dr. Peter Levine
We are supposed to get our nutrients from foods, but because our foods are lacking nutrients due to processing and soil depletion, and people with FM have compromised immune and digestive systems that are not functioning properly, supplemental support can be an important part of addressing the underlying root triggers.
Magnesium Pain Relief
- Vitamin D
- Fish oil or Flax Seed Oil/Omega 3
- Liposomal Glutathione
- B Vitamins
- HERBS & SPICES for pain and inflammation:
- Tart cherry juice
Visit https://yourfibrodoctor.com/. You will find help there.
TOPICAL OINTMENTS, CREAMS and OILS
- Magnesium Oil
- Essential Oils: Peppermint, Wintergreen, Clove, Nutmeg, Corriander
- Volunteering and its Surprising Benefits
Looking for help with something?
Search our site below...
Please take the time to report your adverse symptoms from Cymbalta and Cymbalta withdrawal to the FDA. Call 1-800-332-1088
© 2019 Healing America Now