DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE! We do not employ doctors or licensed medical professionals, so we do not provide medical advice. Nothing presented here is a substitute for the advice of a DOCTOR or other licensed health care provider. Never stop, start or add medications or supplements to your health or mental health care regime without first checking for interactions or other problems, and thoroughly researching the substance. Before you employ any information here, consult your health care professional. No information here is the result of valid clinical trials.
Depression begins in your gut
Many people are unable to eat or drink certain products because they cause obvious physical reactions. Please make the mental jump and see that physical and mental reactions are very closely linked. The first consideration for anyone suffering low mood, depression or indeed any mental health problem, however extreme, should be nutrition and supplements. NOT anti-depressants!
It is increasingly clear that how well we eat is directly linked to how well we feel. Allergy and intolerance can cause a whole range of problems: fatigue, confusion and brain fog, anxiety, depression, irritability, agitation, anger, aggression, nervousness, hyperactivity and even schizophrenia and some learning disabilities.
Ironically, the problem food is often a favorite. (Pizza, anyone? Another latte?)
- Serotonin maintains mood balance. 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut.
- As a result, the gut is often referred to as the “second brain.”
What can go right – or wrong – in the gut
- Patients with mental health problems, in particular the more extreme, tend to be seriously short of certain nutrients.
- Supplements can solve the problem. In particular, amino acids help with depression and similar problems.
- Trillions of microbes live in our intestines. Live bacteria can make a huge difference to the emotional and mental state of people suffering from depression. Yoga instructors will tell you that the twisting poses they teach are particularly good for removing toxins – which has a similar effect.
- Healthy gut bacteria make it easier to burn carbs as energy, not store them as fat. That reduces the risk of obesity and type II diabetes.
- Gluten intolerance has been shown to have a potentially massive effect on the brain. If we are given anti-depressants to solve our mental problems, yet continue to ingest gluten, imagine the confusion for the poor brain and body!
- Well over half the body’s immune tissue is found in the gut, so clearly it is central to immune responses and inflammation. With leaky gut (another syndrome unrecognised by many specialists!) the wall of the intestine can be damaged. This may be caused by gluten.
This inflammation can lead to thyroid problems. And to hormone problems.
- Probiotics will boost healthy bacteria. Glutamine can repair the damage. Omega-3 will help with inflammation. Prebiotics feed the healthy bacteria in the gut. Beware of antibiotics which often kill the good bacteria alongside the bad.
- Depleted nutrients as a result of taking drugs for mental “health”
- Coenzyme Q10, Magnesium, Melatonin, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin B12
Do yourself some good. Click on the link for details.
Our mental health starts in the gut.
Heal the gut, heal the brain.
Convinced? Do something about it.
Further reading, for anyone not convinced …
- Natural Treatment for Bipolar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bngPW55Po1k
- Understanding Nutrition, Depression and Mental Illness: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2738337/
- 5 Reasons Why Gut Health Is Crucial To Whole Body Wellness
- Antidepressants Kill Bacteria:
- 7 Important Nutrients Depleted by Psychiatric Drugs:
- The role of nutrition in mental health: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20232617
- The Surprising Link Between Gut Bacteria And Anxiety: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/04/gut-bacteria-mental-healt_n_6391014.html
- Dr. Kelly Brogan’s new vision for the evolution of psychiatry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEO2Iqcr7mY
- Two Foods That May Sabotage Your Brain
- Depression – A Nutritional Disorder: http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/2011/depression-a-nutritional-disorder/
- What if... Nutrition Could Treat Mental Illness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrxdoIn6DQQ
- Nutritional Psychiatry: Your Brain on Food: http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/nutritional-psychiatry-your-brain-on-food-201511168626?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_campaign=111615kr1&utm_content=blog
- Advanced Nutrient Therapy: http://www.walshinstitute.org/biochemical-individuality--nutrition.html
- Gut Feelings: How your belly affects your moods: http://www.betternutrition.com/gut-feelings/
- Beans, Greens and the Best Foods for the Brain: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/847304?src=wnl_edit_specol&uac=18712MZ&impID=759297&faf=1ntions
- Can the Bacteria in Your Gut Explain Your Mood? http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/magazine/can-the-bacteria-in-your-gut-explain-your-mood.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1
- The Brain on Fire: Inflammation and Depression: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-breakthrough-depression-solution/201111/the-brain-fire-inflammation-and-depression
- The Gut-Brain Connection, Mental Illness and Disease: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201404/the-gut-brain-connection-mental-illness-and-disease
- Dr. David Perlmutter - Gut/brain health https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB8Qo8DLnvw&list=PLMQesiF3_fuvVBq1g_XXWV1fOSlxp-Qtt
- 5 Signs A Hidden Food Sensitivity Is Sabotaging Your Health: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9911/5-signs-a-hidden-food-sensitivity-is-sabotaging-your-health.html
- Rebuild Your Brain, Sharpen Your Edge: Nutrients and Lifestyle Approaches for a Healthy Brain: http://www.rebuildfromdepression.com/category/articles/
- Could Too Many Refined Carbs Make You Depressed?http://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20150807/could-too-many-refined-carbs-make-you-depressed
- 10 Nutritional Deficiencies That Cause Depression and Mood Disorders: http://www.realfarmacy.com/10-nutritional-deficiencies-that-cause-depression-and-mood-disorders/
- It does no good to take synthetic Vitamin D without K according to some experts: http://www.metaboliceffect.com/why-should-you-take-vit-k-with-your-vit-d/
- According to this study a certain probiotic lactobacillus helveticus strain can help with depression: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20974015
- Research Reveals Nutrition Improves Mental Health Better Than Prescription Medication:
- 9 Startling Nutrient Deficiencies That Can Cause Depression:
The meaning of optimum in OPTIMUM DIET is the diet which best supports recovery from illness and maintenance of health. This support also includes optimum energy, athletic performance, mental power and endurance, preventing degenerative disease and staying young.Read More
There are three schools of thought on tapering multiple drugs: 1) Taper one drug at a time in order to connect decreases to withdrawal symptoms.2) Taper all at once – very slowly 3) The stair-step method, where one drug is slow tapered for awhile, and then tapering that drug is stopped before tapering the next drug begins.Read More
Looking for help with something?
Search our site below...
© 2019 Healing America Now